Annual bills

If you hold your utility contracts yourself, at the end of the year WML will send you an invoice detailing your usage and the actual price of the water used. They will then either reimburse you if you paid too much or ask you to pay the difference if you used more than the amount payed for by your regular payments. The same type of invoice will be sent by your provider of gas & electricity. This bill is normally sent to the person who has been residing in the building in the house the longest, but should be divided between all residents. Depending on the bill, you will either need to pay the difference or the difference will be paid out to you if you used less than anticipated.

If you signed a contract that includes Service Costs, your landlord is obliged to provide a similar annual nota and calculation before the 30th of June of the next year. This invoice is called “eindafrekening” and should include an itemized list of the actual costs and the advance payments made by the tenant. Every item, like electricity, gas, furnishing, cleaning etc. must be clearly listed. Costs and payments are then balanced. Sometimes the tenant will need to pay extra but sometimes they will get money back. If the landlord and the tenant disagree about the amounts, they can present their case to the rental tribunal (Huurcommissie) or the district court (kantonrechter) at any time and the payments may be lowered if necessary.

Besides the final settlements for your utilities, every household gets billed with the municipal tax once a year. This bill comes in form of a letter from the BsGW and tends to be shockingly high (somewhere around 400€). In this part of our finances section you can find out how to apply for a tax cut and get out of this bill!

Give feedback

We're here to help you

See information that is out of date or inaccurate, a link that is not working, or a sentence you don’t understand? Then please let us know by filling out this form – we will implement the changes as soon as possible and get back to you should we have further questions.

Highlighting something on our website will trigger a pop-up so that you can share a certain part of our website to your Twitter or Facebook account. This may come in handy if someone else has specific question related to life in Maastricht or there’s a piece of information you want to share with your friends, followers or acquaintances.

If you need off-line help with filling out an application or finding specific information, you can turn to the International Service Desk (given that you are a student at UM). We collaborate closely and one of our colleagues will welcome you and assist you at the reception of the Student Services Center (SSC, located at Bonnefantenstraat 2, 6211KL, Maastricht) from Monday to Friday from 13.00 until 17.00. If you are not a student at UM step by the Holland Expat Centre South. They help every international in the Maastricht Region with all kind of issues.